Famous novelist Sun Tzu said, “keep your friends close; keep your enemy closer”. I’ll remark, “a 100% and to the point statement”. While most of us are still confused about the statement, some of us are have already understood the intention of the topic. SEO competitive analysis is one of the most important tasks to complete if one wants to succeed in search engine optimization.
The competitive analysis is done to analyze the backlinks, referring domains, etc. of the competitor’s domain. While the best in the market are still striving hard to find the best SEO tactic, Statista says, “32% of the experts believe that social media sharing was most effective SEO tactic”.
In this blog, we will discuss SEO competitive analysis tools that provide awesomely driven pathways of SEO success. Furthermore, we will discuss SEO in-depth analysis of competitors, their referring domains, link attributes, etc. So without wasting any time let us move forward to the focal point.
What is SEO competitive analysis?
SEO competitive analysis is the analysis of competitive domains and their donating constraints through an SEO tool. There are many tools available in the market, but we have selected the top 12 tools to discuss for you. Before discussing the tools in detail let us discuss the questions one looks forward to answering in SEO competitive analysis.
- Who are my actual SEO competitors?
In this section, we acknowledge actual SEO competitors.
- What keywords should I target?
Here, we get a clear perspective of successful keywords that have brought success to the competitor.
- What points and topics should I cover?
After successfully acknowledging SEO competitors, the topics and points that should be covered are discussed in this section.
- Where can I find links?
The research for outbound, inbound, and backlinks starts here.
- What do I possess to beat my competitor?
The exact SEO strategy to beat the competitor is decided in this segment.
It is a one-stop solution tool for enhancing online visibility and obtaining digital marketing insights. It helps the marketers walk in the shoes of the best SEO perspectives available for marketers in the form of SEO, PPC, SEM, etc. Here, there are three price ranges available for champ marketers using the tool.
- Pro: This plan starts at 119.95 USD/month. This plan is meant for individual bloggers looking to excel in SEO.
- Guru: This plan starts at 229.95 USD/month. This plan is meant for medium and small enterprises.
- Business: This plan starts at 449.95 USD/month. The plan is meant for large enterprises looking for long-term goals.
After discussing pricing, let us now discuss the process by which competitor analysis is done in this tool. For performing SEO competitor analysis, one has to follow the below-given steps to succeed.
- Login into SEMrush
- Click on the competitive research icon on the left-hand sidebar. You’ll get options as ‘.Trends’, ‘SEO’, ‘Advertising’, ‘Content and PR’, and ‘Social Media’.
- Click on the prospect you want to analyze.
- Follow the instructions as demonstrated.
- You’ll find the results aka contributing attributes on the screen.
There can be tons of ways in which Ahrefs can be used as a successful SEO and marketing tool. If you were to consider my opinion: Ahrefs is the best tool for SEO competitive analysis. Besides giving detailed and accurate information, it also presents to you the loopholes in competitor’s SEO strategy. The pricing of this SEO tool contains the following three plans to ponder upon. They are:
- Lite: This plan starts at $99 per month. This is meant for individuals looking to excel in SEO and SEM (Search Engine Marketing)
- Standard: The plan starts at $179 per month. This is meant for professionals who regularly work in the field.
- Advanced: This plan starts at $399 per month. This is meant for small and medium-sized enterprises.
- Agency: The plan starts at $999 per month. This is meant for large enterprises that work in the SEO domain.
For performing SEO competitor analysis, do follow the following steps of success:
- Login into Ahrefs.
- Click on the ‘Site Explorer’ button on the top bar.
- Enter the competitor’s domain in the space provided.
- You’ll find all the attributes of competitors that have enabled it to rank higher than your website in SERPs.
- Follow the instructed steps. After it, you will be successfully able to analyze the competitor’s domain.
3. Uber suggest
While doing SEO competitive analysis needs to focus on three things. Those three things are:
- Keywords for which the competitor has ranked for
- The number of backlinks and their sources.
- Pages that have brought maximum traffic to the website.
While the three elements described above are equally important, they can be well defined and ticked off using the tool Uber suggest.
Moving forward, we will discuss the pricing and plans of the tool Uber suggest. The plans are pricing details are:
- Individual: This plan starts at $29 per month. It is meant for individuals and can handle only 2-3 websites at a time.
- Business: This plan starts at $49 per month. It is meant for small and medium enterprises and can handle 4-7 websites at a time.
- Enterprise/Agency: This plan starts at $99 per month. It is meant for an agency or large enterprises as the name suggests and can handle 8+ websites at a time.
Now moving forward to the ‘how-to’ guide to SEO competitive analysis.
Follow the below-given guide if you’re looking to perform SEO competitor analysis through Uber suggest.
- Login into Uber suggest.
- Enter the competitor’s domain in the search bar.
- You will find keywords on the left-hand sidebar. Click on it. It will give you an opinion about competitor’s keywords, their estimated volume, keyword difficulty, etc.
- Click on the ‘backlinks’ option on the left-hand sidebar. Here you will acknowledge the backlinking profile of the competitor.
- Click on the ‘traffic analyzer’ icon on the left-hand sidebar. Here you will find traffic insights, social shares, etc. elements of your competitor’s domain.
Now let’s move forward to the next tool.
It is a popular social network monitoring tool and helps to find out and analyze the number of shares on a particular topic or search term. Suppose, you need to find the most shared content on the topic ‘Content Marketing’. All you have to do is type the keyword and click on the ‘Go’ icon.
Now let’s discuss the plans that are available with BuzzSumo.
- Free: Here you will get limited access to features.
- Pro: This plan starts at $99 per month. It is for individuals looking to excel in Search Engine Marketing.
- Plus: The plan starts at $179 per month. This plan is specially for small and medium-sized enterprises looking to compete in the sector.
- Large: The plan starts at $299 per month. It is for large enterprises looking to complete an SEO audit and development of large-sized enterprises.
It is a tool helps d to carry out analysis on competitor’s most successful paid keywords. You might have heard of PPC campaigns. Most people think that it is a harsh and foolish step for a newly launched business to carry out PPC campaigns. However, through this tool, you will be able to find out the successfully paid keywords that worked for your competitor.
Let us now move forward with the pricing and plans of the tool. Below are the prices that define the packages offered by SpyFu:
- Basic: This plan starts at $33 per month. Like always, it is for individuals.
- Professional: This plan starts at $58 per month. It is specially for light and medium-sized enterprises.
- Team: This plan starts at $199 per month. This plan is solely for large-sized enterprises.
Now follow the below-given steps for carrying out SEO competitor analysis.
- Log into SpyFu.
- Enter the competitor’s domain in the search box and hit enter. You will find here the most successful paid keywords for your competitor that worked.
- Analyse the most successful paid keywords you have got from the above step.
- Download the analyzed keywords in CSV or PDF format.
Thus you have a list of the most successful paid keywords used by your competitor. Use it to run paid Adwords campaign. Moving forward to the next topic we have QuickSprout as the next tool.
If you’ve generated traffic to your blog, you are a champ. But, what about the quality and value of traffic? Have you noticed it? If not this is the right time to notice it. Sometimes it doesn’t matter how valuable your products and services are. The only thing that controls overall sales and matters is: How many of them are ready to buy your product or services? i.e. the quality of traffic.
Now let us move on to the working of the tool. Follow the given below steps while performing SEO competitor analysis using this tool:
- Enter the competitor’s domain in the search box available on the homepage of QuickSprout.
- Analyse the data available through the tool.
Not only this, you can use QuickSprout to learn and develop estimated traffic scores, SEO scores, etc.
Now let us discuss Similar Web.
7. Similar Web
Can you guess the unique number of visitors per month for your competitor? Well, ‘a Similar Web’ can help you do this. This step is the hardest in SEO competitive analysis.
This tool is mostly free of cost. However, you can upgrade it to gain access to much more SEO competitor analysis tools.
While performing the act, one should focus upon the competitor’s traffic insights. This reveals a big secret about the traffic mediums. After the performance, you will get answers to the question: What are the biggest sources of the traffic of the competitor’s domain?
Is social media the villain that brings traffic to the competitor’s website? If yes is the answer, then a new question arises: What should be the apt SEO strategy that guides us to success?
The solution is: Target the same keywords as used by the competitor but with stronger content, that gets more shares and thus drives more traffic.
Let’s now move forward to the next tool Alexa.
It is an Amazon product came into market in 1996. It is based on the theme: ‘Your content is valuable’.
And why not? There is a need for valuable content in the market, otherwise, your daily subscribers will find out a competitor to depend upon. Making easily understandable content is a challenge i.e. speaking the language your audience expects. Alexa just helps you do that. Isn’t it fancy?
Follow the below-given steps to understand audience demographics.
- Visit and log into Alexa.com.
- Enter your URL in the search box and press enter.
- After pressing enter you will see a list of your website visitors, along with their age, gender, browsing location, education, etc. attributes.
Thus using this tool you can understand the minds of your users and their demands regarding the content. This helps in building content already voted by your audience. Thus enabling a large number of shares, high-quality traffic, etc.
Let us now move forward to our next tool in discussion i.e. Siteliner.
What if I tell you that I have got a tool that will analyze your competitor’s domain for duplicate content and broken links. Everyone knows: In order to improve search rankings one has to use both qualitative and quantitative links.
No matter how well-written your content is, if you haven’t got links, you simply can not compete in SERPs. Siteliner provides not only loopholes in your competitor’s content but also loopholes in the competitor’s linking structure.
Follow the below-given steps while using the tool.
- 1: Log in to the website.
- 2: Enter your competitor’s domain and press enter.
- 3: You will find your SEO competitor’s loopholes in terms of broken links and plagiarized content. Download it in CSV or PDF format.
Only a fool will not know how to use a competitor’s loopholes to his/her advantage. Moving forward let us now discuss Keyword Competitor.
10. Keyword Competitor
What if I tell you: “I’ve got a tool that helps in getting the keyword opportunity your competitor might have missed”. You might feel relaxed! Yes, frankly speaking, we have got a tool for it. Keyword Competitor tool helps you do just that.
Utilize this opportunity and keywords can be grouped to form long-tail keywords. long-tail keywords assists in content marketing strategy in order to exploit the opportunity.
Exploiting competitors’ missed keyword opportunity is an art and can be done through this tool.
We have learned from the above discussion that expending money on the wrong marketing platform is a waste of time and money. The tools are available here describe the value of SEO strategies to exploit while performing SEO competitive analysis.
Do you think that the strategy we discussed is worth mentioning? Do Comment.